The main objective of HUC is to improve the buy to fly ratio from the typically achieved 9 through the conventional cast and wrought route to less than 3 through NNSHIP being the material developed able to withstand engine relevant conditions with and without exposure guaranteeing its ability to contain.
The work plan includes the following main activities:
1. Development and Optimisation of a powder HIP processing for Astroloy.
2. Characterisation of mechanical properties to generate a database which supports the component design.
3. Development of experiments and numerical simulations to assess the material´s behaviour under dynamic and ballistic conditions.
4. Characterisation and understanding of mechanical properties with exposure at high temperatures.
5. Development of low cost tooling for HIPping high temperature superalloy casings.
6. Development and validation of process modelling capabilities.
7. Manufacturing of canning/tooling to guarantee the compliance of the finish product with the requirements.
8. Project progress Management, Dissemination, Communication and Exploitation.